Tuesday 14 February 2012

I guess I should tell you how to ice the damn thing

So as I the title suggests I am going to tell you about butter icing (this is the icing I use the most)
This icing is fantastic for flavouring and colouring without compromising the texture too much by adding more liquid. When piped or spread on cupcakes it looks wonderful.




This recipe is for about 12 cupcakes for a good amount of icing on top or a large cake up to 9 inches big. If this makes too much for your product you can always freeze the left overs and use at another time.

300g/10oz butter
500g/17oz icing sugar
First thing you have to do is whip the butter to soften it so it’s easier to mix in the icing sugar.
Next add the icing sugar bit by bit otherwise it will fly everywhere! Use a tea towel over the bowl to stop making a huge mess. If you think the mixture is too dry or not light enough you can always add a bit of milk but only about a tablespoon.

That’s pretty much it. You can add any flavouring you wish for example a teaspoon of vanilla or mint or banana or anything really...
always taste in case you need more flavouring.
Recently I have been experimenting with flavours that go with chocolate, so far I have made mint choc chip cup cakes which turned out very good. (Chocolate cake recipe to come soon) and orange and chocolate chip cupcakes.





1 comment: